Virbhadra seeks special economic package for state
New Delhi: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh met union Finance Minister P. Chidambaram here Sunday and pleaded his state`s case for a special economic package of Rs.7,565 crore.
The chief minister said the 13th Finance Commission, which deals with the share of states in central tax proceeds, had misjudged the committed liabilities of the state, an official statement said.
Virbhadra Singh said the "wrong recommendations" had resulted in a gap in the state`s committed liabilities in terms of pension, salaries and interest at Rs.3,522 crore in this fiscal, which would increase to Rs.4,043 crore in 2013-14.
A government spokesperson told IANS that earlier the chief minister met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and apprised him about the poor fiscal health of the state.
At this meeting Feb 4, he also demanded resumption of special industrial package, which expired in March 2010, to accelerate industrial growth of the state.
The spokesperson said Chidambaram assured the chief minister that the central government would provide liberal financial assistance to the state to expedite the development process.
Tourism as well as horticulture and hydropower generation are major contributors to Himachal Pradesh`s economic development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video