New Delhi: Underworld don Chhota Rajan was on Friday brought back to India from Indonesia where he was lodged in a jail following his arrest on October 25. Rajan was arrested by Bali Police after he landed at Bali International Airport in a flight from Australia.
Here are the 8 developments in the case;
1) After landing at Palam airport in an Indian Air Force Gulfstream-III aircraft at 5.30 am on Friday, Chhota Rajan was immediately whisked away to an undisclosed location under tight security where he is expected to be interrogated by sleuths of various investigating agencies. He will be quizzed to nail India's most wanted terrorist Dawood Ibrahim as he has claimed to know Dawood's whereabouts.
2) After his arrival, a team of doctors from AIIMS have conducted a preliminary health check of Rajan who was then declared medically fit.
3) Rajan is wanted in over 75 crimes ranging from murder, extortion to smuggling and drug trafficking. The 55-year-old gangster, whose real name is Rajendra Sadashiv Nikalje, has expressed his desire to 'fight against terrorism'.
4) Following his arrest, Rajan had expressed reservation over plans to lodge him in a Mumbai jail, fearing that his arch-rival and India's most wanted terrorist Dawood Ibrahim may target him there.
5) Intelligence agencies are reportedly using a lookalike to shadow Rajan, and ‘confuse possible attackers’. The lookalike, or Doosra Rajan, was reportedly at work from 6 am on Friday.
6) The Maharashtra Government is extending all help to CBI in Chhota Rajan investigation.
7) The transfer of Rajan's case to the CBI has reportedly miffed the Mumbai Police as former top cops have dubbed the shifting of the case as an insult to the capabilities of the state Police.
8) On handing over the case to CBI, Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said on Friday that it was a 'good' move which will surely help in 'cracking' the cases against the don.