Surgical strikes: This is how India's para commandos carried out operation to decimate terror launch pads
Politics continued over the 'surgical strikes' carried out by the Indian Army across the LoC at terror launch pads.
Delhi: Even as politics continued over the 'surgical strikes' carried out by the Indian Army across the LoC at terror launch pads, details about the operation has come to the fore.
As per fresh inputs from intelligence sources received by India Today, following approval from Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the DGMO activated the Special Forces units deployed under Northern Command.
- The two units chosen for the task were the Udhampur-based 9 Para Commandos and the 4 Para Commandos.
- The Special Forces squad comprised of four assault teams - a total of nearly 100 men.
- There were three assault teams and one weapons team with troopers.
- The assault teams of 24 Special Forces operatives each from the 9 Para and the 4 Para were further divided into teams of 12 each.
- These small teams were pushed into PoK under the cover of darkness.
- They were pushed four locations in Kel, Tutmari Gali, Nangi Tekri and Baalnoi post in Mendhar sector.
- By shelling Pakistani posts across the 250-kilometre arch, the artillery units in the area provided support and cover to the Special Forces.
- The troops began moving in to destroy identified launch pads around midnight.
- The commandos were in jungle camouflage and walked slowly.
- They were using night-vision devices and night sights on their Israeli Tavor rifles.
- On reaching villages housing the launch pads, the troops used the element of surprise to barge into buildings firing the Russian RPO7 flame throwers.
- The flame throwers created 3,000-degree Celsius temperatures in the building.
- This caused massive explosions and destruction.
- The operations lasted almost four-hour-long operations.
- Four to five launch pads were attacked.
- Number of kills in these attacks is close to 50, the media house quoted sources as saying.
- After the mission was completed, the Special Forces informed the higher ranks.
- The Forces were instructed to use the same exfiltration routes that are used by the terrorists.
- After the troops returned, Army helicopters were sent to fetch the officers.
- They were taken to Udhampur and Nagrota for debriefing.