Air, surface links to Kashmir Valley restored
Srinagar: Air services between the Kashmir Valley and the rest of the country were restored on Thursday and the strategic Srinagar-Jammu highway was also opened for one-way traffic, authorities said.
A senior official of the northern railways told a news agency that train services between Kashmir`s Baramulla town and Banihal town in Jammu region were restored after they remained disrupted for two days.
Officials said vehicular traffic would be allowed to move from Srinagar to Jammu while stranded vehicles on the highway that remained closed for three days were also being cleared.
The highway remained closed for three days due to heavy snowfall and landslides on the over 300-km-long road.
The air traffic between summer capital Srinagar and the rest of the country was also restored completely after three days, although some service providers operated a few flights to the Valley on Wednesday.
The civil administration in Srinagar city commenced de-watering operations in a number of waterlogged areas in the city.
For two days most traffic crossings and market squares remained waterlogged in the summer capital while the Srinagar municipal corporation officials said they were working overtime to address water logging.
Schools and colleges have been closed in the Valley till March 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Thisara Perera penalised, Mitchell Starc reprimanded for ICC code of conduct breaches
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona
- Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions!