AJKPC demands immediate security for Panchayat leaders
Jammu: All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference (AJKPC) Tuesday demanded immediate security cover to its members, condemning the brutal killing of a Sarpanch president in Tral area of Kashmir.
"We condemn the brutal killing of a Sarpanch namely Ghulam Nabi Mir and his young son Firdous Ahmed Mir in Tral area of Awanitpora in Kashmir", President of AJKPC, Anil Sharma said here today.
Slamming the militant attack, Sharma called it a failure of the state government to protect the lives of democratically elected Panchayat members.
"The Chief Minister must ensure immediate security cover to the AJKPC leaders who are on the hit list of terrorists for their pro-democracy stance," said Sharma.
He warned that if the state government fails to ensure their security there will be an agitation.
The AJKPC president have called an emergency meeting of all the executive body members today to chalk out next course of action.
Ahmed Mir was the president of Sarpanch, Panch association united forum (Kashmir).
While giving further details about the incidents, AJKPC leader informed that the unidentified gunmen also attacked the house of another senior leader of AJKPC Bashir Malik who is provincial president (Kashmir Province) of the Panchayat conference.
Bashir was at home when some unidentified gunmen shot rounds of fire at his house, he locked himself in the house and called the police where later he was shifted to Local Police Station for protection.
The AJKPC also condemned the killing of Nambardar namely Mohammad Ahmad Khanday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened