AJKPC demands security cover to panchayat members
Jammu: All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference`s hunger strike against the state government`s failure to address security issues of panchayat members entered the third and final day today.
"We demand security cover and implementation of 73rd amendment of the Constitution that empowers panchayat fully," AJKPC general secretary Anil Sharma told reporters here.
Sharma along with four other panchayat members is on a 72-hour-long hunger strike near Press Club complex to press for their demands.
AJKPC condemned both the state and the central governments for their "failure and silence over the issue of security of panchayat members".
"It is unfortunate that our elected ministers, MPs, MLAs and MLCs are least bothered over this issue," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends