Amarnath agitation: J&K SHRC blames security forces
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) has indicted the security forces for not adhering to standard operating procedures while dealing with the protesters during the Amarnath land row agitation in 2008 that left 63 protesters dead.
"During the incidents which are under consideration, I am of the considered opinion that all the standard operating procedures (SOPs) were thrown to winds by the law enforcing agencies," SHRC member Javaid Kawoos said in his order on Thursday.
Disposing of a petition filed by moderate Hurriyat Conference, Kawoos observed: "Not to say of adhering to any one of them (SOPs), they have perhaps straight away resorted to firing or firing of tear smoke shells directly aimed at the vital parts of the victims which yielded desired result, leaving many dead or many more seriously injured."
The Commission, which has only powers to recommend action, asked the state government to constitute a high-level enquiry to identity the persons who by their "omissions and commissions, express or tacit, lapsed and erred" in their discharge of official functions.
It also recommended action as warranted under law against the officials who are found to have erred in their duties.
"After identifying the erring officers and their lapses, they be dealt with in accordance with the law because if they would have acted at proper time, we would not have witnessed the mayhem," the commission said.
The SHRC also asked the state government to provide ex-gratia relief to the next of kin of the deceased and those injured during the protests.
"I, after appreciating the whole gamut of 2008 disturbances and the manner in which the law enforcing agencies dealt with the same, recommend that for reasons discussed, the state government/district administration must extend ex-gratia relief in favour of the next of kin of all the deceased/ injured covered under the category as well. This will be the humane approach and extending a helping hand to all the desperate families," it added.
At least 63 people died during massive protests that rocked Kashmir over the then Congress-PDP government`s decision to allot forest land at Baltal to Shri Amarnath Shrine Board for setting up permanent facilities for the pilgrims.
The PDP pulled out of the government as the death toll kept on mounting, leading to fall of the Ghulam Nabi Azad led government and imposition of the Governor`s rule in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'