Army bids farewell to jawans killed in militant attack
Srinagar: Army on Wednesday bid a tearful adieu to eight soldiers who were killed in a brazen militant attack at Hyderpora bypass in the outskirts of the city on Monday.
General Officer Commanding of Srinagar-based Chinar Corps, Lt Gen Gurmit Singh, led the officers and jawans in paying floral tributes to the eight soldiers at a ceremony held at the headquarters of Chinar Corps at Badami Bagh Cantonment here.
As many as 16 soldiers were also injured in the attack which came just a day before the two-day visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi to the state.
Director General of Jammu and Kashmir Police Ashok Prasad also attended the ceremony and laid wreaths on the coffins as a special gesture and symbol of jointness, a defence spokesman said.
Lauding the brave soldiers, Lt Gen Gurmit Singh said "my heart goes out to the families and relatives of the martyrs.
"May God bestow strength to bear the loss. Chinar Corps salutes them and their martyrdom will only strengthen our resolve to bring peace in Kashmir," Lt Gen Singh said.
The spokesman said the names of the jawans will be engraved at the Chinar Corps Memorial and their contribution towards peace in the Kashmir Valley will become part of the history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof