Army foils infiltration bid along LoC in Rajouri
Jammu: An infiltration bid by a group of five militants was on Sunday foiled by the Army which launched a massive search operation along the Line of Control (LoC) in Rajouri sector of Jammu and Kashmir.
"A suspected move of a group of four-five persons was detected by alert army troops along the LoC at Hamirpur area, Balakote sector of Bhimber Gali Brigade, Rajouri at early hours today," PRO Defence SN Acharya said.
"Immediately, the surrounding area was cordoned off. The infiltrating group was challenged by our troops," he said, adding that the men thereafter took cover in the bushes and opened fire on the troops.
The troops then fired back in the direction from where the movement had been observed, Acharya said, noting that the intermittent firing continued during the night.
"The exchange of fire stopped at around 0600 hours today. The intruders probably retreat taking advantage of the darkness, thick vegetation and ground topography," the PRO said.
A search operation was launched at day-break to detect any injured person, or any left over stores in the vicinity, he said, maintaining that the search operation was still in progress.
However, there bad weather conditions were coming in the way of the operation, an Army officer said.
As per the reports, there was a movement of the group of militants towards Indian side in Balakote forward belt of Mendhar sector during pre-dawn hours.
Troops of 22 Rajput Rifles, 49 Rashtriya Rifles are engaged in the search operation at the dense forest belt in Balakote sector.
"Searches are going...There was some suspicious activity observed in the night. There was subsequent firing in Balakote...," DIG (Rajouri-Poonch range) Danish Rana said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why