Army foils infiltration bid along LoC in Rajouri
Jammu: An infiltration bid by a group of five militants was on Sunday foiled by the Army which launched a massive search operation along the Line of Control (LoC) in Rajouri sector of Jammu and Kashmir.
"A suspected move of a group of four-five persons was detected by alert army troops along the LoC at Hamirpur area, Balakote sector of Bhimber Gali Brigade, Rajouri at early hours today," PRO Defence SN Acharya said.
"Immediately, the surrounding area was cordoned off. The infiltrating group was challenged by our troops," he said, adding that the men thereafter took cover in the bushes and opened fire on the troops.
The troops then fired back in the direction from where the movement had been observed, Acharya said, noting that the intermittent firing continued during the night.
"The exchange of fire stopped at around 0600 hours today. The intruders probably retreat taking advantage of the darkness, thick vegetation and ground topography," the PRO said.
A search operation was launched at day-break to detect any injured person, or any left over stores in the vicinity, he said, maintaining that the search operation was still in progress.
However, there bad weather conditions were coming in the way of the operation, an Army officer said.
As per the reports, there was a movement of the group of militants towards Indian side in Balakote forward belt of Mendhar sector during pre-dawn hours.
Troops of 22 Rajput Rifles, 49 Rashtriya Rifles are engaged in the search operation at the dense forest belt in Balakote sector.
"Searches are going...There was some suspicious activity observed in the night. There was subsequent firing in Balakote...," DIG (Rajouri-Poonch range) Danish Rana said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!