Army Goodwill School in Bandipora reopens
Srinagar: The Army Goodwill School at Hajin in Bandipora district, which was set ablaze by angry protesters in July this year following the death of two youths in Army firing, has been reopened, a defence spokesman said.
The school has been reopened on the request of the villagers who had launched a signature campaign for its reopening, he said.
"On the request of villagers, the Army Goodwill School at Hajin was reopened on October 12," the spokesperson said.
"The burning of the school deprived the local children from education. Realising the great loss, the locals in Numberdar village launched a signature campaign requesting the local Army establishment for reopening the school," he added.
He said the local Army unit not only repaired the school building on a war footing but also provided furniture and other amenities, which were damaged in the fire.
"The villagers thanked the Army for the effort," the spokesman said.
The school was gutted after a group of protesters set it ablaze over the killing of two youths in alleged army firing at nearby Markundal village on July 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO