Army jawan killed, 5 injured in accidental grenade explosion
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed and five others were injured on Thursday when a grenade accidentally exploded inside their camp in Kupwara district of North Kashmir, a defence spokesman said.
The incident took place at the camp of 21 Rashtriya Rifles in Handwara, 80 kms from here, when the troops were preparing to leave for an anti-militant operation, the spokesman said.
He said a grenade, being carried by a soldier, exploded accidentally resulting in critical injuries to him and five other soldiers.
The injured jawans were rushed to nearby military hospital at Drugmulla where one of them -- identified as Shyam Singh -- was declared brought dead, while two others -- Surender Kumar and Manmohan Singh -- were referred to 92 Base hospital here for specialised treatment, the spokesman said.
Security forces have launched a massive search operation in Kupwara forests and had recovered a huge cache of arms and explosives from a militant hideout yesterday.
The operations are part of efforts by to ensure zero infiltration and smuggling of arms and explosives into the Valley from across the Line of Control, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video