Army jawan killed, 5 injured in accidental grenade explosion
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed and five others were injured on Thursday when a grenade accidentally exploded inside their camp in Kupwara district of North Kashmir, a defence spokesman said.
The incident took place at the camp of 21 Rashtriya Rifles in Handwara, 80 kms from here, when the troops were preparing to leave for an anti-militant operation, the spokesman said.
He said a grenade, being carried by a soldier, exploded accidentally resulting in critical injuries to him and five other soldiers.
The injured jawans were rushed to nearby military hospital at Drugmulla where one of them -- identified as Shyam Singh -- was declared brought dead, while two others -- Surender Kumar and Manmohan Singh -- were referred to 92 Base hospital here for specialised treatment, the spokesman said.
Security forces have launched a massive search operation in Kupwara forests and had recovered a huge cache of arms and explosives from a militant hideout yesterday.
The operations are part of efforts by to ensure zero infiltration and smuggling of arms and explosives into the Valley from across the Line of Control, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof