Army jawan killed, 5 injured in accidental grenade explosion
Srinagar: An Army jawan was killed and five others were injured on Thursday when a grenade accidentally exploded inside their camp in Kupwara district of North Kashmir, a defence spokesman said.
The incident took place at the camp of 21 Rashtriya Rifles in Handwara, 80 kms from here, when the troops were preparing to leave for an anti-militant operation, the spokesman said.
He said a grenade, being carried by a soldier, exploded accidentally resulting in critical injuries to him and five other soldiers.
The injured jawans were rushed to nearby military hospital at Drugmulla where one of them -- identified as Shyam Singh -- was declared brought dead, while two others -- Surender Kumar and Manmohan Singh -- were referred to 92 Base hospital here for specialised treatment, the spokesman said.
Security forces have launched a massive search operation in Kupwara forests and had recovered a huge cache of arms and explosives from a militant hideout yesterday.
The operations are part of efforts by to ensure zero infiltration and smuggling of arms and explosives into the Valley from across the Line of Control, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday