Bad weather: Traffic to be suspended on J&K highway for two days
Srinagar: With weatherman forecasting moderate to heavy snowfall from Wednesday, authorities in Kashmir Valley on Tuesday decided to suspend traffic for two days on the arterial Srinagar-Jammu National Highway this week.
"The 294-km Srinagar-Jammu National Highway, the only road linking Kashmir with rest of the country, will remain closed on January 17 and 18 as a precautionary measure in view of the snow forecast," Coordinator, Disaster Management, Aamir Ali told a news agency.
In view of an approaching western disturbances, there is possibility of moderate to heavy snowfall, over hilly areas especially Pir Panjal and light to moderate snowfall at many places in the Kashmir Division from tomorrow.
The snowfall is likely to intensify on January 17 and 18, Ali said quoting from a communique received by his department from the weather office here.
Ali said Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir, Asgar Hassan Samoon has directed all the deputy commissioners, concerned head of departments and DSPs to activate their manpower and machinery and to be in a state of preparedness, so as to minimise disruption of essential services, including roads, electric supply, water supply and healthcare services.
Samoon has asked IGP Traffic, Muneer Ahmed Khan, to restrict movement of vehicles on the highway on January 17 and 18 as a precautionary measure, Ali said.
The traffic on the highway has already been restricted to one-way over the past fortnight due to slippery condition on the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read