Bad weather: Traffic to be suspended on J&K highway for two days
Srinagar: With weatherman forecasting moderate to heavy snowfall from Wednesday, authorities in Kashmir Valley on Tuesday decided to suspend traffic for two days on the arterial Srinagar-Jammu National Highway this week.
"The 294-km Srinagar-Jammu National Highway, the only road linking Kashmir with rest of the country, will remain closed on January 17 and 18 as a precautionary measure in view of the snow forecast," Coordinator, Disaster Management, Aamir Ali told a news agency.
In view of an approaching western disturbances, there is possibility of moderate to heavy snowfall, over hilly areas especially Pir Panjal and light to moderate snowfall at many places in the Kashmir Division from tomorrow.
The snowfall is likely to intensify on January 17 and 18, Ali said quoting from a communique received by his department from the weather office here.
Ali said Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir, Asgar Hassan Samoon has directed all the deputy commissioners, concerned head of departments and DSPs to activate their manpower and machinery and to be in a state of preparedness, so as to minimise disruption of essential services, including roads, electric supply, water supply and healthcare services.
Samoon has asked IGP Traffic, Muneer Ahmed Khan, to restrict movement of vehicles on the highway on January 17 and 18 as a precautionary measure, Ali said.
The traffic on the highway has already been restricted to one-way over the past fortnight due to slippery condition on the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation