Chillai Kalan ends; no respite from cold wave in Kashmir
Srinagar: There was no respite from the cold wave in Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region as the minimum temperature dropped in most places, even though the 40-day `Chillai-Kalan`, considered as the harshest winter period, ended today.
During `Chillai-Kalan`, which begins on December 21 every year and ends on January 31 of the next year, the Valley and Ladakh region experience intense cold conditions and possibility of snowfall is also maximum and most frequent.
The Valley received two spells of heavy snowfall during `Chillai-Kalan` this season. The first occurred on the first day of the 40-day period only.
Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 3.3 degrees Celsius as compared to the previous night`s low of minus 3.4 degrees Celsius, an official of the MeT Department here said.
The mercury in Qazigund - the gateway town to Kashmir valley - settled at minus 9.4 degrees Celsius, down by two degrees from minus 7.4 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Kokernag, in south Kashmir, recorded a low of minus 10.6 degrees Celsius, a decrease of over one degree from the previous night?s minus 9.2 degrees Celsius.
The mercury in the tourist resort of Pahalgam recorded a minimum of minus 11.2 degrees Celsius as against minus 10.8 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The mercury at famous ski-resort of Gulmarg increased by over five degrees to settle at a minimum of minus 6.4 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 12.0 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a low of 0.6 degree Celsius as against the previous night?s minus 2.0 degrees Celsius.
Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, recorded a low of minus 12.8 degrees Celsius, against minus 12.7 degrees the previous night.
The MeT Department has said a fresh western disturbance will hit the state this weekend which is likely to affect the Valley from February 2 to 6 with its main activity from the night of February 2 to 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends