Cold returns to Kashmir as mercury dips
Srinagar: Night temperatures dropped by several degrees across Kashmir as cold returned after two days of rains and snowfall in many parts of the Valley, with mercury in famous resorts of Gulmarg and Pahalgam plummeting by around eight notches.
Many areas of Kashmir valley received rainfall during the night with the summer capital Srinagar recording 9.6 mm of rainfall, a MeT Department spokesman said.
Night temperature in Srinagar dropped by over two notches to settle at a low of minus 1.3 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s low of 1.6 degrees Celsius, he said.
In the gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir, which received a rainfall of 29.2 mm, the mercury settled at a low of minus 4.0 degree Celsius during the night, registering a drop of over four degrees from 0.8 degrees Celsius yesterday, the spokesman said.
Night temperature in Kokernag recorded a low of minus 3.3 degrees Celsius, over five degrees down from the previous night`s low of 2.1 degrees Celsius, he said, adding that the place received 14 mm of rainfall.
In north Kashmir`s Kupwara town, which recorded 19.1 mm of rainfall, the minimum settled four degrees down at minus 3.7 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s low of 0.5 degrees Celsius.
The Gulmarg ski resort in north Kashmir registered a drop of eight notches to record a low of minus 13.0 degrees Celsius, he said, adding that it received a rainfall of 14.4 mm.
Pahalgam health resort in south, which touched freezing point yesterday, recorded a low of minus 8.4 degrees Celsius, a steep drop of over eight notches, as the hill resort recorded 18.4 mm rainfall, he said.
Leh in Ladakh region, where the previous night`s low was minus 3.4 degrees Celsius, recorded a low of minus 5.0 degrees Celsius last night, he said.
Night temperature in Kargil settled at a low of minus 8.4 degrees Celsius, as against yesterday`s low of minus 9.2 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India