Committee inspects Srinagar Central Jail
Srinagar: The Security Review Committee headed by Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Prisons K Rajendra has visited central jail here to review the security and living conditions of prison inmates.
"The committee visited the jail yesterday and took comprehensive stock of security and living condition of the jail inmates," an official spokesman said today.
He said the members interacted with the prisoners and enquired about the facilities being provided to them.
The Director General Prisons, who was accompanied among others by Inspector General of Police, Kashmir, Abdul Gani Mir, Deputy Commissioner, Srinagar, Farooq Ahmad Shah, DIG Prisons, M S Lone, inspected the jail kitchen and the food being provided to the inmates, the spokesman said.
The committee was satisfied with the medical facilities being given as of now.
However, they recommended providing ECG and Dental Chair equipments besides a portable X-Ray machine and the posting of technicians to handle these for better medical treatment of the jailed persons, the spokesman said.
The Director General of Prisons assured that the matter regarding the regular visit of specialists -- including Psychiatrist, Ophthalmologist and ENT -- would be taken up with the Chief Medical Officer, Srinagar, the spokesman said.
Deputy Commissioner, Srinagar, said a three-months short term course under the reformation and rehabilitation scheme will be started in the trades of waiter and chef for the inmates, in addition to those already being run by the jail authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal