Corruption rocks J-K Assembly, oppn stages walkout
Jammu: In the wake of notices issued to
Chief Minister and several others by the State Accountability
Commission, Opposition parties on Friday staged a protest and
later walked out from the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative
Assembly demanding a debate over the issue.
As the Assembly sitting began today, opposition PDP led
by Mehbooba Mufti demanded adjournment of the Question Hour
and a debate over the issue of high-level corruption, nepotism
and favouritism in the wake of notices issued by the SAC to
the Chief Minister and several cabinet ministers.
Notice for the adjournment of the Question Hour has
already been given to the Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone
yesterday, she said.
However, the House was not suspended by the Speaker, who
said that the issue can be raised only after the Question Hour
The Question Hour is very important for raising issues of
public and it should not be disrupted, Lone said.
The PDP, however, raised slogans against the ministers
terming them as "corrupt" and against the government.
The State Accountability Commission (SAC) last week had
issued notice to the Chief Minister and other government
boards, asking them to explain under what rules they had
conferred ministerial status to various politicians who were
drawing salaries and perks of ministers though not legally
entitled to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video