CPI-M warns gas crisis may turn violent
Srinagar: CPI-M on Saturday warned that the present gas crisis in Jammu and Kashmir could turn into a major law and order problem and appealed to the central government for a special concession on LPG cap.
"The lack of coordination between central government and the oil companies is responsible for (the) prevailing LPG crisis in Jammu and Kashmir. The dearth of distributors has compounded the crisis," CPI (M) state secretary Mohammad Yousuf Tarigami said here.
"This will further add to the woes of consumers and the same can snowball into a major law and order situation, if the central and state governments and the oil companies do not come forward to address the problem," Tarigami said.
He also blamed the state government for its alleged "ineptitude" in addressing the sufferings of consumers who are subjected to waiting in long queues for hours together to get hold of an LPG cylinder.
He demanded that the state government ensure availability of the required number of gas cylinders for its consumers till the central government and oil companies decide about raising subsidy cap on the LPG cylinders.
Tarigami expressed concern over the "huge deficiency" of gas cylinders required especially to deal with winter in Kashmir.
Referring to media reports claiming nexus between gas dealers and agents operating in markets in the state, the CPI(M) leader said the government must curb such tendencies.
He alleged oil companies have taken consumers for a ride due to central government`s wrong policies.
He also appealed to the Centre for a special concession for Jammu and Kashmir, which is currently struggling with a massive LPG shortage and has seen many protests throughout the state over the past couple of months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’