`CRPF fully alert to counter threat of militants`
Srinagar: CRPF, which is assisting Jammu and Kashmir police in handling law and order situation, Saturday, expressed apprehensions about increase in the militant attacks on security forces in the coming months but said it is fully alert to counter the threat.
"Some of the attacks on security forces this year were daring and we expect such attacks to continue in the coming months... We are fully alert to deal with any situation," Special Director General of CRPF, J&K zone, DK Pathak told reporters on the sidelines of an investiture ceremony here.
Pathak said compared to last year, the number of militancy-related incidents have decreased but the casualties of the forces have increased due to some "daring attacks".
"There are reports of infiltration and those who have infiltrated will target security forces. They (militants) are not here for any charity work and would definitely strike when they find an opportunity," he said.
The officer said although the militants were successful in inflicting casualties on the forces, there has been no lapse in "our strategy".
"It sometimes happens that our enemy is more alert than us at a given moment. The militants continue to attack the forces but sometimes we counter them and sometime they are successful in inflicting causalities. There has never been any lapse in our strategy," he said.
Responding to a question about possible spurt in the militant activities during the Parliamentary and Assembly elections next year, Pathak said, "Only time will tell. But as infiltration has happened, we expect some attacks."
Earlier, the Special DG CRPF presented the Director General`s disc and commendation certificate to 34 CRPF officers and personnel, including Inspector General of CRPF, Srinagar, P K Singh and three DIGs, for their exemplary performance in administration and operation in the valley.
He also presented the best administrative battalion trophy of Srinagar sector to Commandant of 18th battalion, CRPF, Pankaj Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra
- Seven lakh applicants for Punjab Police to face dope test
- Turkey forms state of emergency coordination committee