Curfew lifted in Kishtwar
Kishtwar: Curfew was on Wednesday lifted in Kishtwar, 13 days after restrictions were imposed there following communal strife, as the situation was returning to normal.
"In view of betterment of situation, curfew was lifted from noon in the town," District Magistrate, Kishtwar, Baseer Khan, told a news agency.
There was no report of any untoward incident from anywhere in the district and the situation was returning to normal, he said.
The all-party delegation, which was here since August 19 to hold talks with members of the two communities to end tension, left today, Khan said.
He said a peace rally was taken out in the town by two communities to forge communal harmony.
"Deadlock between the two communities had been resolved. Joint meetings were held with both the communities and it was decided to take out peace rally in the town to end tension and forge communal harmony," he said.
Curfew was imposed in Kishtwar on August 9 after communal clashes broke out there in which three persons were killed, over 20 others injured and 75 business establishments along with 35 vehicles gutted.
Tension had spread to other districts which witnessed violent protests against the clashes and restrictions were imposed.
The all-party delegation had held several rounds of talks with members of both the communities and officers of the district administration. They also undertook a visit of the affected areas in the district to assess the situation.
Four members of a ministerial team, led by Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, had held separate meetings with leaders of the two communities on August 18 to end tension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?