Firing in Baramulla, one dead, four injured
Srinagar: A 25-year-old man was killed and four were injured in firing allegedly by security forces during protests in Baramulla town of north Kashmir on Tuesday.
Hundreds of residents of Baramulla town took to streets to protest what they alleged ransacking of their houses by the army in the area, official sources said.
The protesters pelted stones at the army personnel who allegedly opened fire to disperse them, they said.
Five persons were injured in the firing, the sources said adding one them later succumbed to injuries.
He was identified as 25-year-old Tahir Latief Sofi, they said. The condition of one of the injured was critical.
The protestors also hurled stones at the Deputy Commissioner`s office smashing its window panes, the sources said.
Reinforcements had been rushed to the trouble-torn area to maintain law and order, they said.
An army spokesman said he was collecting details about the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?