Five more Amarnath pilgrims die, toll mounts to 19
Srinagar: Five more devotees died due to cardiac arrest at Pahalgam and Baltal base camps pushing the death toll in the ongoing annual Amarnath pilgrimage to 19.
Megha Gupta, aged 24 years, a resident of Chandigarh, suffered a massive heart attack at Pahalgam last night while on her way to the Amarnath cave shrine, police said.
64-year-old Jagbir Singh from Haryana and Rinku (55) from Tamil Nadu died at Sonamarg on shorter Baltal route, they said.
Hailing from Madhya Pradesh, 83-year-old Babu Singh died at Baltal base camp after paying obeisance at 3,880-mt high shrine housing the naturally-formed ice lingam of Lord Shiva.
An unidentified man was found dead at Domail, police said.
With this, the death toll since the commencement of the annual pilgrimage to the Amarnath shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas rose to 19, they said.
The Yatra commenced on June 25 from twin tracks of Baltal in Ganderbal district and Pahalgam in Anantnag, and over one lakh pilgrims have so far offered prayers at the shrine.
The pilgrimage is going on smoothly from both the routes, the officials said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?