Five more Amarnath pilgrims die, toll mounts to 19
Srinagar: Five more devotees died due to cardiac arrest at Pahalgam and Baltal base camps pushing the death toll in the ongoing annual Amarnath pilgrimage to 19.
Megha Gupta, aged 24 years, a resident of Chandigarh, suffered a massive heart attack at Pahalgam last night while on her way to the Amarnath cave shrine, police said.
64-year-old Jagbir Singh from Haryana and Rinku (55) from Tamil Nadu died at Sonamarg on shorter Baltal route, they said.
Hailing from Madhya Pradesh, 83-year-old Babu Singh died at Baltal base camp after paying obeisance at 3,880-mt high shrine housing the naturally-formed ice lingam of Lord Shiva.
An unidentified man was found dead at Domail, police said.
With this, the death toll since the commencement of the annual pilgrimage to the Amarnath shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas rose to 19, they said.
The Yatra commenced on June 25 from twin tracks of Baltal in Ganderbal district and Pahalgam in Anantnag, and over one lakh pilgrims have so far offered prayers at the shrine.
The pilgrimage is going on smoothly from both the routes, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez