Five more Amarnath pilgrims die, toll mounts to 19
Srinagar: Five more devotees died due to cardiac arrest at Pahalgam and Baltal base camps pushing the death toll in the ongoing annual Amarnath pilgrimage to 19.
Megha Gupta, aged 24 years, a resident of Chandigarh, suffered a massive heart attack at Pahalgam last night while on her way to the Amarnath cave shrine, police said.
64-year-old Jagbir Singh from Haryana and Rinku (55) from Tamil Nadu died at Sonamarg on shorter Baltal route, they said.
Hailing from Madhya Pradesh, 83-year-old Babu Singh died at Baltal base camp after paying obeisance at 3,880-mt high shrine housing the naturally-formed ice lingam of Lord Shiva.
An unidentified man was found dead at Domail, police said.
With this, the death toll since the commencement of the annual pilgrimage to the Amarnath shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas rose to 19, they said.
The Yatra commenced on June 25 from twin tracks of Baltal in Ganderbal district and Pahalgam in Anantnag, and over one lakh pilgrims have so far offered prayers at the shrine.
The pilgrimage is going on smoothly from both the routes, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read