Fresh snow, rains in Kashmir
Srinagar: The month-long dry spell in Srinagar ended today as the Valley received fresh snowfall and rains even as Ladakh region continued to freeze at sub-zero temperatures.
Fresh snowfall was witnessed at north Kashmir Ski resort of Gulmarg, Razdan Pass in Bandipora district and Shopian in south Kashmir, a MET official said.
Rainfall was witnessed in Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, Anantnag district of south Kashmir, including Jawahar Tunnel area-- the gateway to the Valley.
The downpour in the plains has ended nearly a month-long dry spell.
Although a slight drizzle was witnessed on the last day of November, it lasted for just a couple of hours.
However, the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway -- the only road link between Kashmir and rest of the country -- was open to vehicular traffic, a spokesman of the traffic department said.
The weatherman has forecast snow and rains across the Valley over the next 24 hours.
Meanwhile, Leh in Ladakh was the coldest recorded place in the state where the minimum temperature dipped to minus 12.4 degrees Celsius last night.
Kargil district, also in Ladakh, recorded a low of minus 7.8 degrees
In the Valley, Gulmarg was the coldest place at minus 7.5 degrees Celsius, followed by south Kashmir resort of Pahalgam at minus 2.2 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature recorded in Srinagar city last night was minus 1.7 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered