Fresh snowfall expected in Jammu and Kashmir
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall and rains are expected in Jammu and Kashmir in the next four days due to fresh western disturbances in the state, weather department
said on Monday.
The MeT department has forecast heavy snowfall and rains at isolated places in Jammu and Kashmir due to increased precipitation in a day which is likely to disrupt surface and air transport system in the state.
Director of MeT department Sonum Lotus in an advisory warned that a fresh western disturbance over the state and adjoining areas is likely to affect the weather of the region for four days beginning today.
"The main activity will occur on February 21 and 22," Lotus said.
Lotus said the weather system is likely to disrupt surface and air transport systems of the state.
"Under the influence of this weather system, light to moderate rain and snowfall will occur at most places in Kashmir and Jammu region, while at some places along Pirpanjal Range may receive rather heavy rain and snowfall," the MeT department Director said.
Very light to light snowfall is also likely at few places in Ladakh region particularly along Drass, Kargil and Zanskar regions, Lotus said.
He said the "weather system" is likely to move in a south-east direction of the state.
The Jammu-Srinagar National Highway, the only road link with rest of the country, often remains closed for vehicular traffic during bad weather as the arterial road passes through Pir Panjal mountain range.
This winter, the air traffic from and into Srinagar airport has also remained suspended several times due to bad weather which affects the visibility around the airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch