Govt to set up Srinagar-Leh power transmission link
New Delhi: The government on Thursday announced construction of a power transmission link between Srinagar and Leh at an investment of Rs 1,840 crore.
"To improve power supply in the Leh-Kargil region (Jammu & Kashmir) and connect it to the northern grid, the government will construct a transmission system from Srinagar to Leh at a cost of Rs 1,840 crore," Finance Minister P Chidambaram said in his Budget speech.
He said, "I propose to provide Rs 226 crore in 2013-14 for the project. "
The transmission link would be constructed by the central transmission utility Power Grid Corporation.
Earlier this week, Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal also announced Bilaspur-Manali-Leh railway line connecting Himachal and strategically-important Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, adjoining China border.
The Finance Minister also asked the state governments to prepare the financial restructuring plans quickly, sign the Memorandum of Understanding and take advantage of the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan