Govt to set up Srinagar-Leh power transmission link
New Delhi: The government on Thursday announced construction of a power transmission link between Srinagar and Leh at an investment of Rs 1,840 crore.
"To improve power supply in the Leh-Kargil region (Jammu & Kashmir) and connect it to the northern grid, the government will construct a transmission system from Srinagar to Leh at a cost of Rs 1,840 crore," Finance Minister P Chidambaram said in his Budget speech.
He said, "I propose to provide Rs 226 crore in 2013-14 for the project. "
The transmission link would be constructed by the central transmission utility Power Grid Corporation.
Earlier this week, Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal also announced Bilaspur-Manali-Leh railway line connecting Himachal and strategically-important Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, adjoining China border.
The Finance Minister also asked the state governments to prepare the financial restructuring plans quickly, sign the Memorandum of Understanding and take advantage of the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you