Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight, mob torches vehicles
Srinagar: A separatist guerrilla was killed and a soldier injured in a gunfight Saturday in Pulwama district of Jammu and Kashmir, following which a protest erupted and an angry mob torched two police vehicles, officials said.
"Security forces including police, Rashtriya Rifles and the CRPF surrounded Aaripal (Tral) village in Pulwama district following specific information that a group of militants was hiding there," a police officer told IANS.
When the security forces zeroed in on a house where the militants were hiding, they came under heavy gunfire from the militants, resulting in injuries to a Rashtriya Rifles personnel.
The security forces retaliated and killed a militant belonging to the Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) outfit in the gun battle.
Following the killing, protests erupted in Aaripal village and a mob torched two police vehicles, an official said.
"Miscreants torched two police vehicles in Aaripal where a foreign terrorist was killed by security forces today. Police showed restraint while handling the mob and nobody was injured in the incident," a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed