Gujjars stage protest in Jammu; demand hostel
Jammu: A group of Gujjar activists on Saturday held a demonstration to press for their long pending demands of providing hostel and distribution of timely scholarships to the students of Schedule Tribe (ST) community.
Led by Bhartiya Gujjar Mahasabha (BGM) state president Eshfaq-ur-Rehman Poswal, over 100 activists of the organisation staged a protest at Raj Bhawan, alleging that the students of Scheduled Tribe community are not getting timely scholarships due to which the studies of the students are suffering a lot.
Poswal also alleged that there are large scale bungling in the disbursement of scholarships which the students have been receiving since 1991. He also demanded a proper inquiry into the matter.
The Gujjar leader said that the community has been totally ignored in the New Recruitment Policy, adding that the students of the community should be given due share in the policy.
Meanwhile, the activists also demanded that the ST students should be given coaching in the premier institutes across the country so that the downtrodden and backward students of the community can prepare themselves for competitive exams like IAS, KAS, IPS and for other exams.
Later, they also submitted a memorandum to Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui