Hardline Hurriyat suspends its general strike for 3 days
Srinagar: The hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference on Wednesday announced to suspend its general strike for three days, saying it will hold consultations with other separatist groups before announcing the future course of action.
The outfit had called for the strike demanding handing over the body of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru to his family.
"There will be no strike till February 25 but people are urged to continue protests through social networking sites to press for the demand of return of Guru`s body to his family," Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai, a close aide of Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani, told a news agency.
He said the Geelani-led Hurriyat will hold consultations with other separatist groups before announcing the next phase of agitation on Monday.
"Other like minded groups have expressed their wish that wider consultation should be held before announcing future programme. We are open to it," Sehrai said.
The hardline Hurriyat had called for three-day strike beginning Wednesday to press for the demand of return of Guru`s body to his family.
Authorities have imposed curfew or restrictions on movement of people in wide parts of the Valley today, apprehending law and order problems.
Sehrai also said that Quranic recitation will be held for "the martyrs of Kashmir cause, particularly Guru," after the dusk prayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh