Hardline Hurriyat suspends its general strike for 3 days
Srinagar: The hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference on Wednesday announced to suspend its general strike for three days, saying it will hold consultations with other separatist groups before announcing the future course of action.
The outfit had called for the strike demanding handing over the body of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru to his family.
"There will be no strike till February 25 but people are urged to continue protests through social networking sites to press for the demand of return of Guru`s body to his family," Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai, a close aide of Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani, told a news agency.
He said the Geelani-led Hurriyat will hold consultations with other separatist groups before announcing the next phase of agitation on Monday.
"Other like minded groups have expressed their wish that wider consultation should be held before announcing future programme. We are open to it," Sehrai said.
The hardline Hurriyat had called for three-day strike beginning Wednesday to press for the demand of return of Guru`s body to his family.
Authorities have imposed curfew or restrictions on movement of people in wide parts of the Valley today, apprehending law and order problems.
Sehrai also said that Quranic recitation will be held for "the martyrs of Kashmir cause, particularly Guru," after the dusk prayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Facebook video row: 'Made no mistake,' says Bhagwant Mann in 5-page letter to parliamentary panel
- 'Lights Out' sequel in works
- Damn funny! This is how every rich girl in the world is like—Watch video
- West Indies vs India: We need to work hard to make series even, says Phil Simmons
- Lindsay told me she's pregnant: Father