Hurriyat calls for four-day mourning for Afzal Guru
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Saturday announced four-day mourning on the death of Mohammad Afzal Guru, who was hanged this morning following his conviction in the Parliament attack case.
"We call on people to observe four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru. A complete shutdown will be observed over the mourning period," Shahidul Islam, spokesman of the amalgam, told PTI.
Hurriyat also demands immediate return of the mortal remains of Guru so that he can be given a burial according to his family`s wishes and as per Islamic rituals, the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, the spokesman of the Syed Ali Shah Geelani-led hardline Hurriyat Conference Ayaz Akbad was taken into preventive custody by police in the wee hours today.
"Akbar was arrested by police at 5.00 am and taken to an unknown location," his son said.
All the senior separatist leaders including Geelani, Mirwaiz and JKLF leader Mohammad Yasin Malik are presently out of the Valley and could not be reached for a comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island
- I gossiped about Hollywood with Nathan Jones: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Tribal community members in Goa narrate their woes to Arvind Kejriwal