Hurriyat strike disrupts normal life in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Normal life was disrupted in Kashmir Valley Thursday due to a strike called by hardline Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani to protest killings in Gaza and to mourn the death of seven persons in an accident involving an army vehicle.
Shops, business establishments and petrol pumps here were closed, while government offices and banks received thin attendance, police said.
They said public transport was off the roads while private cars, cabs and auto rickshaws were seen plying.
Similar reports were received from all major towns across the valley, they said.
School and colleges in the Valley are closed on account of summer vacations.
Geelani yesterday called for the strike against Gaza killings and to mourn death of seven persons, including a pregnant woman, in a head-on collision between an army vehicle and a private cab on Srinagar-Baramulla highway in the outskirts of the city here.
The collision triggered protests by the locals.
Expressing grief over the loss of lives, Geelani alleged that the armed forces do not follow traffic rules and usually cause accidents.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know