Indian Air Force rescues 11 civilians
Srinagar: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Sunday
rescued 11 civilians from Sonamarg area of Ganderbal district
in Kashmir as authorities issued a fresh avalanche warning in
On the instructions of Divisional Commissioner Kashmir,
Asgar Samoon, IAF airlifted 11 civilians from Sonamarg to Gund
town of Ganderbal as there was a possibility of fresh
avalanche striking the area, an official spokesman said.
All the civilians have been evacuated out of Sonamarg and
adjoining snow-bound areas, he said.
Sonamarg has been the site of one of the two massive
avalanches that hit army camps in Kashmir on Wednesday.
Three soldiers were killed when a massive avalanche hit
an army camp at Sonamarg and another massive avalanche hit the
headquarters of 109 Infantry Brigade at Dawar area of Gurez
sector, near LoC, in Bandipora district on Wednesday night
resulting in the death of 14 soldiers while two others are
Meanwhile, the search operation for the two missing
jawans in Gurez continued for the fourth day today, defence
Sources said inclement weather was hampering the search
for the two jawans, who remain buried under 18 feet of snow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users