Jammu records lowest day temperature in 30 years
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir remained under the grip of an intense cold wave on Tuesday and Jammu city recorded its lowest maximum temperature in 30 years.
Sonam Lotus, director of the regional meteorological department, said that Jammu city on Monday recorded 6.7 degrees Celsius as maximum temperature -- the lowest in 30 years.
In the Kashmir Valley, he said, Srinagar recorded minus 5.5 degrees Celsius, Pahalgam minus 9.2 degrees, Qazigund minus 6 degrees and Gulmarg minus 10 degrees as the minimum night temperatures.
Kargil in Ladakh was the coldest town on Tuesday at minus 20 degrees while Leh recorded minus 17.8 degrees.
Higher reaches of the Kashmir Valley are likely to receive light snowfall Wednesday, he said.
"Slight cloudiness in the evening tomorrow (Wednesday) would give some relief from the intense cold wave as we are expecting light snowfall in the higher reaches," Lotus said.
Jammu and Kashmir has been reeling under cold wave conditions for a fortnight. Minimum temperatures in the valley and Ladakh have failed to rise above the freezing point.
A foggy weather and unprecedented cold have thrown life out of gear in Jammu where authorities have extended school holidays to January 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing