Jammu-Srinagar highway opens for one-way traffic
Jammu: The Jammu-Srinagar national highway was on Friday opened for one-way traffic, leading to passage of over 300 Kashmir-bound people stranded in Jammu following closure of the road due to heavy snowfall.
"One-way traffic has been allowed from Jammu to Srinagar today after closure of the highway for the past few days," an official of the Police Control Room at Jammu, said.
Authorities first cleared over 300 Kashmir-bound passengers stranded at the Jammu bus stand for past four days in view of the closure of the highway, the official said.
Over 1,300 vehicles, mostly trucks, carrying essential supplies and stranded for past several days in Nagrota-Sidhra in Jammu were allowed to move to Kashmir, police said.
However, no vehicle was allowed from Srinagar to Jammu, they said.
The arterial road-- the only all-weather road link between Kashmir and rest of the country -? was closed on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, vehicular traffic on inter-district roads, including Jammu-Doda, Kishtwar, are still blocked and efforts are being made to reopen them, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell
- Hello hotness! Deepika Padukone looks kickass in an all blue satin grace!
- Salman Khan ‘raped woman’ remark controversy: Actor evades media, refuses to say ‘sorry’ – Watch
- Amazing! Ahmedabad hotel made out of discarded containers set to woo customers
- This is what befriending grownups on social media can do to you