Jammu-Srinagar highway opens for one-way traffic
Jammu: The Jammu-Srinagar national highway was on Friday opened for one-way traffic, leading to passage of over 300 Kashmir-bound people stranded in Jammu following closure of the road due to heavy snowfall.
"One-way traffic has been allowed from Jammu to Srinagar today after closure of the highway for the past few days," an official of the Police Control Room at Jammu, said.
Authorities first cleared over 300 Kashmir-bound passengers stranded at the Jammu bus stand for past four days in view of the closure of the highway, the official said.
Over 1,300 vehicles, mostly trucks, carrying essential supplies and stranded for past several days in Nagrota-Sidhra in Jammu were allowed to move to Kashmir, police said.
However, no vehicle was allowed from Srinagar to Jammu, they said.
The arterial road-- the only all-weather road link between Kashmir and rest of the country -? was closed on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, vehicular traffic on inter-district roads, including Jammu-Doda, Kishtwar, are still blocked and efforts are being made to reopen them, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog