J&K Assembly Speaker hints at discussion on Afzal issue
Jammu: Under pressure from various parties and continuous disruption of the House, Jammu and Kashmir Assembly Speaker has indicated of allowing discussion on the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, but said he will "open his cards" on Monday.
"The issue should be discussed -- But I will open my cards on Monday," Mubarak Gul told PTI here on Saturday.
Almost all the major political parties, including the ruling National Conference, Opposition PDP and CPI (M) have moved motions for adjournment of daily business of the House to discuss the situation arising out of the execution of Guru.
The House was disrupted yesterday by the protests from PDP, CPI(M) and Peoples Democratic Front forcing the Speaker to adjourn the House.
"People want that discussion should be held (over it). There was big discussions on TV channels, Prime Minister had talked about issue, Chief Minister had talked about it, opposition had raised the issue," Speaker said.
"There were big editorials in the newspapers, people did protests-- how can you hide it," Gul said.
Led by Leader of Opposition Mehbooba Mufti, PDP legislators stood up from their benches in Assembly yesterday carrying placards on Guru and called for adjournment of business to discuss the situation and handing over of Guru`s mortal remains.
CPI(M) member M Y Tarigami, who had also moved the motion for adjournment of the House business to discuss the issue, also stood up and urged Speaker Gul for discussion.
NC MLA Nasir Aslam Wani-led five member resolution was brought by NC to adjourn the house to hold debate over the issue in the Assembly yesterday.
Meanwhile, Bhartiya Gujjar Maha Sabha today slammed mainstream political parties for their stand on Guru`s hanging saying that holding the Assembly hostage over the matter betrayed a total lack of concern about the plight of the people of the state.
"We express grave concern over the negative attitude of the mainstream political parties... They are least concerned about the plight of the people of the state and are raising a hue and cry over a matter which has been decided by the highest court of the country," state president of the Sabha, Eshfaq-Ur-Rehman Poswal, told reporters here.
Poswal said although people in the rural areas of the state are facing problems like lack of roads, hospitals, health infrastructure, jobs, education and power, these issues were not likely to be raised in the House due to the ongoing standoff and adjournment motions moved over Guru`s hanging.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla