J&K CM pays rich tributes to NC founder Sheikh Abdullah
Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday paid rich tributes to National conference founder Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah on his 107th birth anniversary and vowed to take his mission of "naya" and "khushaal" Jammu and Kashmir forward.
"I think we cannot pay a better tribute to baba-e-quom (father of the nation, Sheikh Abdullah) today than by pursuing the path shown by him and fulfill his dream of Khushaal (prosperous) and Naya (new) Jammu and Kashmir," Omar said while addressing party workers at the mausoleum of his grandfather Abdullah on the banks of Dal Lake.
Omar, his cabinet colleagues and senior party functionaries joined hundreds of people to pay floral tributes to Sheikh Abdullah, popularly known Sher-e-Kashmir (Lion of Kashmir).
In an apparent reference to opposition PDP and separatists, Omar said there has been an attempt to portray Abdullah in bad light and defame him.
"There has been an attempt to portray Sheikh Abdullah in bad light and defame him, his works in the eyes of the people to show what he was not. Sheikh sahab always thought about the people and this nation," the chief minister said.
Lashing out on Abdullah`s detractors, Omar defended his grandfather for the agreements he had with New Delhi for the benefit of the people of the state.
"This is the only state where the tillers were given owning rights to the land without any agitation. Many parts of the country are still devoid of education, but Abdullah ensured establishment of higher education institutions in the state," he said.
Referring to the Panchayati Raj system in the state, the chief minister said Abdullah had dreamt of transferring power to grassroots level.
"The mission for empowering panchayats is not just our mission, it was the mission of the one whom we are paying tributes today (Sheikh Abdullah). He always said that people are the power and through them only can everything be achieved," Omar said.
Omar said that the NC founder was of the view that the power should not be kept in government offices, but should be delegated to people.
Omar`s father and Union minister Farooq Abdullah was not present as Parliament is in session and the Lok Sabha is to take up a vote on a motion against FDI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday