J&K CM reviews Amarnath yatra security arrangements
Srinagar: Amid intelligence inputs of terror threat to Amarnath yatra, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today reviewed security arrangements for the annual pilgrimage in southern Himalayas.
Security arrangements for the two-month-long yatra to the 3,880 mt high holy cave shrine, scheduled to start on June 28, came up for a detailed review at the Unified Headquarters meeting chaired by Omar here, official sources said.
The meeting assumes significance as General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Northern Command, Lt General K T Parnaik has said the Army has received inputs that terrorists might try to disrupt the yatra.
"Intelligence inputs which we are receiving suggest that they (terrorists) have intentions to disrupt the yatra," he had said on Monday.
The state government has also declared the entire Amarnath yatra route as "highly prone" to terror strikes and said it has directed security agencies to take necessary steps to ensure safety of pilgrims.
Sources said the meeting, which was attended by top brass of army, police, para-military and state and central intelligence agencies, also reviewed the internal security situation in the Valley and counter-infiltration measures to scuttle any attempt by militants to infiltrate from across the border.
Intelligence inputs suggest presence of a large number of militants at the launching pads across the border and possible attempts by them to infiltrate into the Valley.
State Home Department has issued a circular to all agencies concerned that, "Considering the security scenario, topography of the yatra area, high potential of terrorist attacks on the yatris to create law and order situation throughout the state and the country, sensitive nature of the yatra, and the high publicity the yatra generates, the entire yatra area is highly prone to terrorist attacks."
Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the government is making all efforts to ensure security of the pilgrims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Kashmir like volcano about to erupt, says AK Antony
- Union Minister Prakash Javadekar clarifies on Nehru, Patel gaffe - Here's what he said
- Agartala: 17 injured in clashes between IPFT supporters, locals
- Myanmar says UN chief to attend ethnic peace talks
- Chaos in Himachal Pradesh Assembly on 'fresh revelations' against CM Virbhadra Singh