J&K firing: Curfew lifted in Ramban, protests in Banihal
Jammu: Curfew was on Saturday lifted in Ramban district even as fresh protests broke out in Banihal belt against the firing by BSF personnel with agitators blocking the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway.
"The situation is under control, peaceful and normal and there have been no untoward reports from anywhere today", a police spokesman said here.
The authorities are monitoring the situation round-the-clock and additional forces have been deployed in sensitive areas of the Jammu region, he said.
Curfew has been lifted in Ramban district as the two-day curfew period expired last night and no fresh curfew orders were passed, officials said.
The Gool, Dharam and Sanglandan area of Ramban district, which have been epicentre of protests, have returned to normalcy. There is no tension, they said.
However, there have been fresh protests in Banihal belt of Ramban district where some people have assembled on the highway and are sitting on a dharna demanding the arrest of the people involved in Thursday`s firing incident in Gool.
Additional police force has been deployed in the area to ensure that there are no violent protests.
On July 18, four persons were killed and 42 suffered injuries in the firing when a mob attacked a BSF camp in Dharam area of Ramban district to protest against alleged high-handedness by a BSF team.
Protests against the killing erupted across Jammu and Kashmir on Friday during which 16 people, including two policemen, were injured in clashes, stone-pelting and cane-charge in Jammu region`s Doda district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!