J&K govt approves use of beacon lights on vehicles
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government has approved the use of red beacons on vehicles of top dignitaries of the state including the governor, chief minister, chief secretary, DGP and cabinet ministers.
The Cabinet, which met here under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Monday evening, approved the authorisation for use of red light with flasher on the top front of vehicles of various dignitaries including the Governor and Chief Minister, an official spokesman said Tuesday.
Besides them, former governors, deputy chief minister, chief justice, chairman legislative council, speaker of the Assembly, cabinet ministers, former chief ministers, leader of opposition in Legislative Council and Legislative Assembly and judges of High Court can use red beacons with flasher on their vehicles while on duty, he added.
The cabinet authorised use of red light without flasher on the top front of vehicle used by deputy chairman of Legislative Council, deputy speaker of Legislative Assembly, minister of state, chief secretary, advocate general, deputy minister, chairman of public service commission and the state`s Director General of Police (DGP), he said.
Speaker Mubarak Gul in the Assembly today said the cabinet has given approval to the use of red beacons as per the guidelines and orders of the Supreme Court of India.
The SC had on December 10 last year ruled that red beacon can only be used by high dignitaries holding constitutional posts while on duty.
Meanwhile, the cabinet also approved the use of blue light with flasher/bar on vehicles for emergency services such as ambulances, vaccine carriers and fire trucks.
Besides, civic bodies carrier vehicles including fumigation vans have been authorised to use white lights while vehicles on law and order duty, checking squad of motor vehicle department, traffic police and PCR vehicles and VIP escort vehicles have been authorised to use multi-coloured lights, the spokesperson said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory