J&K govt resumes functioning in Jammu amid protests
Jammu: Amid sporadic anti-government protests, the Jammu and Kashmir government Monday kick-started its work here in keeping with the tradition of bi-annual shifting of the state capital.
In continuance with the 140-year-old practice of erstwhile Dogri kings of shifting capital in Jammu and Kashmir with change of seasons, offices including civil secretariat, state legislature, Raj Bhawan started their work in the winter capital here after shifting from Srinagar.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah kick-started working of the government by taking guard of honour at the civil secretariat here.
Omar was given guard of honour by state Police contingent on his arrival at civil secretariat and later inaugurated newly constructed rooms at the complex and addressed a meeting of his ministers and officials.
The civil secretariat closed in Srinagar in the last week of October.
"We want to work for the people of J&K--people have given us full support and co-operation-- We seek co-operation from the people of Jammu to ensure development and progress in this region for the next 6 months after reopening of darbar offices," Omar told reporters here today.
Omar said our endeavour will be to sort out problems being faced by the people in the next six months.
"Our single biggest contribution to the state is conduct of panchayat polls to empower people at the grass-root level," the chief minister said.
In view of threat of protests, authorities had imposed prohibitory orders around the secretariat and heavy police deployment was made to deal with them.
Protest march of Government employees towards secretariat was foiled by the police after brief clashes at Press club area.
They were demanding policy regularisation of daily-wagers, removal of pay anomalies among other things.
Led by Shamsher Singh Manhas, state president of BJP, party activists took anti-government protest on the opening day of `darbar` offices, police said.
They were alleging that Omar-led coalition government failed to address the problems being faced by the people, and there was discrimination against Jammu region at all levels.
"People of the state are suffering on account of inadequate supply of ration, shortage and black marketing of LPG and delay in holding the Urban Local Bodies elections despite repeated assurances by the state government," the BJP leader said.
Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party activists also organised a protest demonstration outside the Raj Bhawan to lodge its protest against the state government for its "persistent neglect and deprivation of Jammu region."
Over 5,300 employees and truck loads of records were shifted from Srinagar to Jammu. Over Rs 10 crore were spent for the shifting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015