J&K: Major tragedy averted with detection of IED
Srinagar: A major tragedy was averted today as security forces detected and destroyed an improvised explosive device (IED) planted by militants under a culvert in Pulwama district of south Kashmir, police said.
A joint patrolling party of police and army detected a mobile phone-fitted IED under the culvert at Mandoora in Tral area of Pulwama district, 40km from here, this morning, a police spokesman said.
A bomb disposal squad was rushed to the spot and a grenade fitted on the IED was removed before the explosive device was destroyed in an open field, he said.
The road, where the IED was planted by the militants, is used by civilians as well as security forces, the spokesman said, adding, a major tragedy was averted due to timely detection of the explosives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today