J&K panchayat members meet Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi: With militants targeting panchayat members in Jammu and Kashmir, a group representing them on Thursday met Congress leader Rahul Gandhi to press for compensation for the kin of the three sarpanches killed and secure working conditions, apart from greater devolution of powers.
"Gandhi promised to look into their demand including for a compensation of Rs 20 lakh each to the dependents of the three sarpanches who were killed by the militants," General Secretary of All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Coordination Committee Anil Sharma told reporters here.
Four panches and sarpanches have been killed by suspected militants and many others have been targeted since the landmark panchayat polls held in the state last year after a gap of 30 years, triggering a spate of resignations by these elected representatives.
Nine panchayat members from the state under the banner of All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Coordination Committee apprised Gandhi of their problems and told him that the non-delegation of power to them under the Panchayati Raj Act has created a "piquant situation" for them.
Gandhi has also promised them that he will visit the state very soon and address meetings on the issue.
The Panchayat members requested Gandhi to address one Maha Panchayat Meeting each in both Jammu and Kashmir regions.
The issue of killing of sarpanches was also raised in the Congress Working Committee meeting on Tuesday in which Gandhi had said that it was a serious matter and needed to be look into.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah yesterday promised security to the panchayat members and said the state government would not allow the ultras to disrupt ongoing efforts to strengthen the Panchayati Raj system in the state.
"Rahul Gandhi has agreed to our demand. He said he will visit the state soon," Shafeeque Mir, convenor of All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Coordination Committee, said.
Another general secretary of the organisation, Khurshid Mallik, said that the biggest problem before the sarpanches is that they have not been empowered adequately.
"If there were no disturbances in conducting Panchayat polls, then why we are facing security threat now. This needs to be thought over. We are not been given power. So, we are not functional and we are losing the faith of people in our areas," he said.
The general secretary in-charge for Jammu and Kashmir, Mohan Prakash, is also holding another meeting to discuss their problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'