J&K power dept employees detained during protest
Srinagar: Over half a dozen casual employees of Jammu and Kashmir Power Development Department (PDD) were detained by police after they staged protests accusing the state government of failing to fulfill its promises made to them.
Scores of casual employees of the PDD were protesting near press enclave here when police stopped their rally and detained as many as seven of them, official sources said.
The employees were demanding regularisation of their jobs and immediate release of their salaries, they said.
The employees alleged they have been denied the salary for the last several months and no steps have been taken to provide relief to them despite repeated assurances by the authorities.
They alleged the authorities have not paid heed to the cases of those employees of the department who were left handicapped or those who died while performing their duties.
The employees threatened of more protests in the coming days if their demands are not met.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Spellers from Texas, New York state battle to tie in US Spelling Bee
- Have given corruption free govt: Amit Shah on 2 years of Modi raj
- Raghuram Rajan's reappointment as RBI Governor should not be of media's interest: PM Modi
- Can a car headrest be a rescue tool in emergency?
- Peace is a two-way street, remove self-imposed obstacle of terrorism: PM Modi tells Pakistan