J&K: Three cops held for beating woman to death
Srinagar: Four people, including three policemen, were arrested in Kashmir`s Anantnag district on Sunday for allegedly beating a woman to death during a police search for contraband drugs, a police official said.
"Three policemen and the son-in-law of the woman have been arrested. Further probe will be done after the autopsy report," the police official said.
People in Ahlaan Gadool village in the Kokarnag area of Anantnag on Friday staged a protest demonstration after the death of 65-year-old Mukhti.
Family members of the woman alleged that she was ruthlessly beaten up during a police raid on Friday. She complained of a chest pain and later passed away.
The villagers alleged that police raided the woman`s house based on a false information given by her estranged son-in-law, who works as a police informer, that there were stocks in the house of some contraband herb called dioscerea, which is found in the valley forests and used in making drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate