J&K: Three cops held for beating woman to death
Srinagar: Four people, including three policemen, were arrested in Kashmir`s Anantnag district on Sunday for allegedly beating a woman to death during a police search for contraband drugs, a police official said.
"Three policemen and the son-in-law of the woman have been arrested. Further probe will be done after the autopsy report," the police official said.
People in Ahlaan Gadool village in the Kokarnag area of Anantnag on Friday staged a protest demonstration after the death of 65-year-old Mukhti.
Family members of the woman alleged that she was ruthlessly beaten up during a police raid on Friday. She complained of a chest pain and later passed away.
The villagers alleged that police raided the woman`s house based on a false information given by her estranged son-in-law, who works as a police informer, that there were stocks in the house of some contraband herb called dioscerea, which is found in the valley forests and used in making drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test