J&K: Three cops held for beating woman to death
Srinagar: Four people, including three policemen, were arrested in Kashmir`s Anantnag district on Sunday for allegedly beating a woman to death during a police search for contraband drugs, a police official said.
"Three policemen and the son-in-law of the woman have been arrested. Further probe will be done after the autopsy report," the police official said.
People in Ahlaan Gadool village in the Kokarnag area of Anantnag on Friday staged a protest demonstration after the death of 65-year-old Mukhti.
Family members of the woman alleged that she was ruthlessly beaten up during a police raid on Friday. She complained of a chest pain and later passed away.
The villagers alleged that police raided the woman`s house based on a false information given by her estranged son-in-law, who works as a police informer, that there were stocks in the house of some contraband herb called dioscerea, which is found in the valley forests and used in making drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah