J&K: Three cops held for beating woman to death
Srinagar: Four people, including three policemen, were arrested in Kashmir`s Anantnag district on Sunday for allegedly beating a woman to death during a police search for contraband drugs, a police official said.
"Three policemen and the son-in-law of the woman have been arrested. Further probe will be done after the autopsy report," the police official said.
People in Ahlaan Gadool village in the Kokarnag area of Anantnag on Friday staged a protest demonstration after the death of 65-year-old Mukhti.
Family members of the woman alleged that she was ruthlessly beaten up during a police raid on Friday. She complained of a chest pain and later passed away.
The villagers alleged that police raided the woman`s house based on a false information given by her estranged son-in-law, who works as a police informer, that there were stocks in the house of some contraband herb called dioscerea, which is found in the valley forests and used in making drugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’