J&K to set up panel to probe misconduct charges against police
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir government will set up a State Police Complaints Authority to inquire into misconduct accusations against police personnel in the state.
"The government shall within six months of the coming into force of this Act (J&K Police Act), establish a State Police Complaints Authority (SPCA) to examine and inquire into complaints of misconduct against police personnel," according to the draft J&K Police Bill, 2013.
Under the Act, District Police Complaints Authorities would also be set up under the monitoring of the SPCA.
The Authority will inquire into allegations of misconduct against police personnel on complaints received from victims, or any person on his or her behalf on sworn affidavit.
SPCA would also probe the complaints received from National Human Rights Commission and State Human Rights Commission, besides District Police Complaint Authorities, the draft Bill stated.
The authority will deal with the complaints of human rights violations, custodial killings and other grave crimes committed by the police, the draft Bill said.
J&K Police Bill, 2013 is likely to tabled in the forthcoming Budget session of Assembly starting from February 28.
SPCA would be headed by a retired judge of high court who will be chairperson of authority and appointed by the state government in consultation with Chief Justice of High Court of J&K.
The Authority in matter of conducting inquiries would have all the powers of Civil Court trying a suit under code of Civil Procedure 1977, it said.
The commission will have powers of summoning and enforcing
the attendance of persons and requiring the discovery and production of any document, receiving evidence on affidavit and any other matter as may be prescribed.
It would submit a report annually to the state government which will be tabled in Assembly session.
Other members should be a retired officer not below the rank of Principal Secretary to Government, a retired police officer not below the rank of Additional DGP and two persons from panel of five members with minimum of 20 years experience of Judicial officer, Public Prosecutor, Praticising Lawyer, Profession of Law and one member should be a woman.
The government has also invited suggestions and comments from general public, social organisations, NGOs, academicians and other stakeholders with regard to the draft Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah