J&K: Woman injured during protest over power cut
Srinagar: A woman was injured as police Tuesday used batons to disperse residents of Batamaloo area who were protesting non-availability of electricity at the time of pre-dawn meal and evening prayers during the month of Ramzan.
Police used batons to disperse the protestors which included a large number of women just outside the Civil Secretariat here, official sources said.
The police used force when the protestors refused to allow passage of traffic on the Jehangir Chowk-Batamaloo axis, causing massive traffic jam on either side, they said.
The residents had blocked the road to protest against the non-availability of electricity between dusk and dawn-- when Muslims hold special night prayers (taraweeh) and have pre-dawn meals (Sehri) during the fasting month of Ramadhan, the sources said.
Although officials maintained that there were no casualties, eyewitnesses said one woman was injured in the police action.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday had promised as much power supply during Iftaar (fast breaking) and Sehri as possible but had warned of more power cuts during the day.
While the Power Development Department has resorted to unscheduled power cuts, the special dispensation promised by the Chief Minister has not been adhered to so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons