J&K youths joining militancy disturbing: Lt Gen Saha
Rangreth (JK): A senior army officer on Saturday said a number of educated youth joining militancy in Jammu and Kashmir was "disturbing" and a matter of concern but the force was taking initiatives to engage them meaningfully.
"I would submit that any youth joining militancy is disturbing. And if educated youth are joining, it is more disturbing. To that extent yes, it certainly causes concern to us. It certainly encourages us to take initiatives to keep the youth more meaningfully engaged," Corps Commander of the Srinagar-based Chinar Corps, Lt Gen Subrata Saha, told reporters here in Budgam district of Central Kashmir.
Lt Gen Saha said checking infiltration from across the Line of Control (LoC) was an important factor in ensuring secure conditions for the upcoming assembly elections.
"Because of the improvement and robustness of the counter- infiltration posture, we are able to prevent infiltration from happening and that I think is the important factor in ensuring the secure conditions for the people to be able to exercise their franchise during the elections," he said.
The army commander said there was no increase in infiltration attempts from across the LoC and "the trends and pattern in infiltration are quite similar to what they were in the previous years."
He said the effective counter-infiltration grid on the LoC is helping in securing the situation in the Valley, but "if people and the jawans are not together, then situation will never get better".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Staying at budget hotels in Delhi to soon become cheaper
- Sonakshi Sinha looks dayum fresh after 'Akira' promotions! Picture proof
- Delhi University releases seventh cut-off list, admission process begins today
- Man dies in fire in Delhi's Hauz Khas
- Song alert! 'Besabriyaan' from Sushant Singh Rajput's 'M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story' OUT—Watch