Kashmir car rally driver killed in crash
Srinagar: The prize distribution function for the Mughal Road Car Rally was cancelled here Monday following the death of a participating driver and critical injuries to his navigator, an official said.
"One of the participating drivers in the car rally, Jitender Singh of Punjab, died in vehicle crash at Simthan Pass while returning back to Srinagar in the rally," Aamir Ali, in-charge of disaster management cell at the provincial administration, said.
Jitender`s navigator Ashish, also from Punjab, was severely injured in the crash and has been admitted to the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura (SKIMS) in Srinagar, he said.
"Doctors have described his condition as critical. He has been put on life support system at the hospital," Ali added.
The three-day Mughal Road Car Rally started Saturday from the banks of the famed Dal Lake in Srinagar. It was flagged off by Minister of State for Tourism Nasir Aslam Wani.
The rally had 67 participants, who drove vehicles of different types over 600-km stretch of mountainous road. Indian motor giants Tatas, Maruti and Mahindra participated in the rally.
The rally was part of the state tourism department`s campaign to promote tourism and attract adventure tourists to Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30