Kashmir Valley gets some relief from cold
Srinagar: As the 40-days freezing `Chillai-Kalan` ended in Kashmir, residents in the Valley got a much needed relief from bone-chilling cold conditions, with temperatures showing a remarkable increase over last two days.
The night temperature across the valley jumped up by several degrees, with the mercury in the summer capital Srinagar settling above the freezing point.
The minimum night temperature in Srinagar was recorded at 1.8 degrees Celsius, over three notches up from the previous night`s -1.6 degrees Celsius, a MET Department spokesman said.
He said the minimum night temperature in Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir also improved by over three notches to settle at -3.6 degrees Celsius from the previous night`s -6.7 degrees Celsius.
The ski-resort of Gulmarg which shivered at a low of -4.6 degree Celsius the previous night, recorded a low of -2.0 degrees Celsius, an increase of over two degrees, he said. The resort had recorded a minimum temperature of -6.3 degrees Celsius on Tuesday.
He said the minimum night temperature in the highway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir was up by a little over two notches at -1.4 degrees Celsius as against the yesterday`s -3.6 degrees Celsius.
The night temperature in Kokernag settled at a low of minus 1.5 degrees Celsius, as against the previous night`s -3.2 degrees Celsius, he said.
The spokesman said that in north Kashmir`s Kupwara town, where the previous night`s minimum was -1.8 degrees Celsius, the minimum temperature settled above the freezing point at a low of 0.7 degree Celsius during the night.
The Leh town in the cold desert of Ladakh recorded a low of -12.2 degree Celsius, as against the previous night`s low of -15.8 degree Celsius, he said.
The night temperature in Kargil, also in the frontier region of Ladakh, settled at a minimum of -13.6 degrees Celsius as compared to -12.4 degrees Celsius yesterday, making it the coldest recorded place in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!