Landslides cause closure of Jammu-Srinagar highway
Jammu: The 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar highway, the only lifeline to Kashmir Valley, closed again Friday as landslides caused by heavy rain and snow sent large boulders shooting down.
"Hundreds of load carriers and passenger vehicles got stranded because of the landslide. The blockade was caused by rolling boulders," said Shakeel Ahmad Beigh, deputy inspector general (DIG) Traffic Police-Jammu.
"We are trying our best to co-ordinate with the Border Roads Organisation to clear the road, but heavy rains and snow are hampering clearance work," Beigh said.
The 100-km stretch between Patnitop and Banihal is blocked with sand and stones dislodged by snow and rain at over a dozen places.
"Also, there is heavy snow on both sides of Jawahar Tunnel, which will take some time to be cleared. And work on clearing it can continue apace only once it stops snowing," Beigh said.
Bad weather conditions have snapped telecommunication links, and electricity supply in Jammu region has been disrupted too.
The meteorological department in Jammu has forecast rains and snow for another 24 hours "due to western disturbances".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read