Lifestyle choice cannot be illegal, Omar on SC verdict
Srinagar: Reacting to the Supreme Court verdict upholding section 377 of IPC, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said a lifestyle choice cannot be illegal.
"People can take whatever stand their religious/moral beliefs dictate regarding #LGBT lifestyle choices but is terming it illegal not wrong?" Omar wrote on Twitter.Com
The chief minister said it was not a question of morality or religion, but that a lifestyle choice cannot be illegal.
"Questions of morality or religion are not the issue. How can a lifestyle choice be illegal? SC removes red lights for equality yet not #377," he said.
The apex court today upheld the constitutional validity of the penal provision making gay sex an offence punishable with upto life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’