Militant killed in gunbattle with security forces in Shopian
Srinagar: An unidentified militant was killed when security forces opened fire to repulse an attack on their search party in Shopian district of Kashmir Valley on Saturday, police said.
A group of militants opened fire on a joint search party of Police and Rashtriya Rifles near Zainapora, 60 kms from here this afternoon, police said.
Security forces retaliated to the firing and in the ensuing gunbattle, a militant was killed, police said.
The firing has stopped and a search operation is in on, they said. The identity and group affiliation of the militant killed in the firing was yet to be ascertained.
Security forces had moved to the area following specific information about presence of some militants, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal