Militant killed in gunbattle with security forces in Shopian
Srinagar: An unidentified militant was killed when security forces opened fire to repulse an attack on their search party in Shopian district of Kashmir Valley on Saturday, police said.
A group of militants opened fire on a joint search party of Police and Rashtriya Rifles near Zainapora, 60 kms from here this afternoon, police said.
Security forces retaliated to the firing and in the ensuing gunbattle, a militant was killed, police said.
The firing has stopped and a search operation is in on, they said. The identity and group affiliation of the militant killed in the firing was yet to be ascertained.
Security forces had moved to the area following specific information about presence of some militants, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill