Militant killed in gunbattle with security forces in Shopian
Srinagar: An unidentified militant was killed when security forces opened fire to repulse an attack on their search party in Shopian district of Kashmir Valley on Saturday, police said.
A group of militants opened fire on a joint search party of Police and Rashtriya Rifles near Zainapora, 60 kms from here this afternoon, police said.
Security forces retaliated to the firing and in the ensuing gunbattle, a militant was killed, police said.
The firing has stopped and a search operation is in on, they said. The identity and group affiliation of the militant killed in the firing was yet to be ascertained.
Security forces had moved to the area following specific information about presence of some militants, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi