Militant killed in gunbattle with security forces in Shopian
Srinagar: An unidentified militant was killed when security forces opened fire to repulse an attack on their search party in Shopian district of Kashmir Valley on Saturday, police said.
A group of militants opened fire on a joint search party of Police and Rashtriya Rifles near Zainapora, 60 kms from here this afternoon, police said.
Security forces retaliated to the firing and in the ensuing gunbattle, a militant was killed, police said.
The firing has stopped and a search operation is in on, they said. The identity and group affiliation of the militant killed in the firing was yet to be ascertained.
Security forces had moved to the area following specific information about presence of some militants, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!