Militant killed in gunbattle with security forces in Shopian
Srinagar: An unidentified militant was killed when security forces opened fire to repulse an attack on their search party in Shopian district of Kashmir Valley on Saturday, police said.
A group of militants opened fire on a joint search party of Police and Rashtriya Rifles near Zainapora, 60 kms from here this afternoon, police said.
Security forces retaliated to the firing and in the ensuing gunbattle, a militant was killed, police said.
The firing has stopped and a search operation is in on, they said. The identity and group affiliation of the militant killed in the firing was yet to be ascertained.
Security forces had moved to the area following specific information about presence of some militants, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?